Monday, January 26, 2009

Mondavi-Cab



There's more to life than beer and nothing makes that statement more true than wine. May I introduce the Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon?

I'm not a big Mondavi fan and I'm not a huge cabernet fan. It tends to make me...how should I say...sleepy. Fortunately, for me, this particular cab does not tend to either create the wonderful red blush/line on my face nor does it make me tired.

My wife picked this up and I'm sure she didn't spend too much money. We have a policy in my house that comes from the words of my wife's cousin (who married a French woman from Avignon): "I try not to buy any wine that isn't under $10 a bottle." There's simply no reason to do so.

So, back to the cab. The grapes are very fruity and the taste is somewhat bold. It's very refreshing and can easily make a successful cabernet table wine (although I still prefer a beaujolais as my every day table wine).

Serve a stemmed glass of red joy along with a plate of pasta and cheese, with a side of white beans, yellow carrots and spinach dressed in a white sauce and some apricot chicken. Yes, I will drink red with chicken. I don't care about the stupid rules of red with meat (I rarely eat red meat (no pun intended)) and white with chicken and fish. Screw the rules! So, find a clean glass, open a bottle, pour, breathe and drink. Enjoy!

No comments: